WordPress 3.6 just dropped I have discovered some conflicts between WordPress 3.6 and
two very popular plugins Vipers Video Quicktags (over 1 Million downloads) and TinyMCE Advanced (2.4 million downloads).
In order for the new WordPress 3.6 video embeds to work the following must be true:
Viper’s Video Quicktags must be disabled (at least until they issue an update)
- TinyMCE Advanced – the option to “Stop removing the <p> and <br /> tags when saving and show them in the HTML editor” must be un-checked
- The URL must NOT be a link. It should just be plain, un-clickable text with no formatting.
- You cannot align or format the URL. If you do, it adds in additional HTML tags to the URL and it’s no longer “on its own line.” This is kind of irritating
- It does not work for all URLs. For instance, if you try to use the YouTube’s shortened URL (e.g. http://youtu.be/zBZtQFp9rbo) or embed URL, it won’t work. Make sure you’re using the URL straight from the address bar of your browser
- If you did steps 1 & 2 be sure to visit all previous posts/pages and “re-embed” the videos with the built-in WordPress 3.6 functionality
I’d like to give a big thanks to Alex Mills (AKA @Viper007Bond).
I tweeted him about the issue I was experiencing, and we went back and forth on the issue for several hours, while it cleared itself up. Near as I can tell, deactivating and re-activating the Viper’s Video Quicktags plugin after upgrading to WordPress 3.6 may have fixed the issue. Not sure why, but that seemed to clear up the issue as you can see from this page:
The top video was embedded via the new video embed built into WordPress 3.6, and the bottom one with Viper’s Video Quicktags
– Vincent Wondra @vincentwondra